Because of the ever-changing nature of the Internet, and the shifts and strategies that your competitors are constantly employing, achieving and maintaining improved Search Engine results is a never-ending task. By spending just a few hours per week on this SEO Cheat Sheet, you can be rockin’ The Google in just a few short months.
Of course, “rockin The Google” is a technical term meaning “achieving and maintaining higher search engine results for your small business website.”
You need someone in your business to concentrate on making sure:
- Your website is properly configured
- Who monitors the traffic you are receiving
- Who optimizes your web pages with words that your prospects would type into a search engine to find you, and
- Who reaches out to other websites that compliment yours to share content with
You can assign each week of the month to concentrate on each of the steps below, and then repeat each the next month.
SEO Cheat Sheet – Each Week Per Month
Week 1: Diagnostics and Maintenance of Search Engine Connections
– Using Google Search Console, clean up all 404 errors, code dysfunctions and disconnected situations.
– Make sure that all pages that should be blocked by robots are blocked, etc
– Handle temporary redirects and permanent redirects.
Week 2: Metrics and Measurement
– Receiving Traffic
– Keywords sending traffic
Week 3: Analysis of Keyword and Contract Opportunities
– Look through Search Console and Adwords accounts and analyze which keywords are performing well for you.
– Find new, related keywords and work out ways to use those
Week 4: Social and PR Link building
– Who do I need to engage?
– Where should I engage?
– What can I do to stand out or get noticed?
– What existing initiatives need SEO help?
Each of these steps are laid out very well by the CEO of Moz.com. Watch his Moz.com Whiteboard Friday talk.